Oh 2020. The year that we learned that anything really is possible. But we've taken that year of picnics, park and pivots, and we've shown it who's boss. We're picking ourselves up and dusting ourselves down. New year, new you and all that.
Recent events mean that we're not going into the new year swinging the way we had originally planned, but that doesn't mean we can't get it off to a damn good start. So we've found 14 ideas to boost your mood, make you move and ultimately slap a smile on your face.
1. Ryan Heffington's Instagram dance classes – Fun, freeing and surprisingly hard work. Sequins and short shorts optional but encouraged.
2. Learn how to handstand with Gabi & Sean – Getting yourself upside down is great for promoting blood flow and giving you an energising boost to start your day. Not to mention you'll be able to show off in front of your friends… Or just in your own mirror.
3. Daily gratitude challenge – It sounds minor, but increasing your gratitude can improve your daily happiness and help you sleep better. Easy, and there are loads of online resources to get you started.
4. Mindfulness course – 2020 was the year we all lost our minds; 2021 will be the year we all find them again. Try an online mindfulness course, or download a meditation app. Whether it's Calm or Headspace, or just striking out on your own, try to incorporate a bit more awareness into your life.
5. Marie Kondo your space – Watch the Netflix show and you'll be hooked. Insanely satisfying, it'll set you up for the year… And let's face it, what else will you be doing in January?
6. Up your dancing skills – From beginner to Beyoncé, online programme Steezy has everything you need to get you shakin' your thang to hip hop, K-pop and more.
7. Digital Detox – While staying connected virtually has enormous pros, it can all get a little, well, overwhelming. Turn off your phone, stop streaming Netflix and tap out for 24 hours and feel how your sleep and concentration improve. And if a full-on detox doesn't suit, we've got a few screen-free ideas for you.
8. Disco yoga – If you weren't already sold with those two magic words, our Zoom Disco Yoga sessions involve a live DJ set. Do it together with your mates for the ultimate uplifting experience. Did someone say Dancing Queen… ?
9. Learn to harness the power of your breath – Sounds crazy, but learning to breathe properly can be really good for you, increasing your health and performance – and as many as 1 in 10 of us aren't doing it right. Breathpod offers free live sessions on Instagram on Monday and Friday mornings, or you can sign up for a 1-2-1 session.
10. Get creative with one of our home kits – No matter what tickles your creative fancy, we've got you covered – from painting to drawing to lino printing to calligraphy, we've got everything you need to get your creative juices flowing. Don't believe us? Just check out the list.
11. Try the Wim Hof technique – Plunging yourself into cold water: sounds awful, but trust us when we say you'll feel alive afterwards. Our Head of Everything Calypso splashes around in the sea every morning rain or shine, so she knows what she's talking about. For extra motivation, watch the Wim Hoff episode of Goop. And you don't need a pond or a pool handy – you can recreate it in your shower, if you dare. Maybe let your household know before they hear you shout though….
13. Try out being vegan – and actually like it – Plant-based food isn't all chia seeds and chickpeas – Dirty Bones vegan burger kit is filthy, fun and decadently delicious. It might just inspire you to reduce your meat intake after all...
14. Learn how to self massage – From hunching over laptop screens to scrolling through your phone to chopping 101 potatoes for the Christmas roast, it all takes its toll on your body. And as bloody marvellous as a massage sounds, well, we're all just going to have to make do with a DIY session